OK, I think it is finally winding down… the bag is nearly packed and only a few odds and ends to pick up here and in Bangkok. One of the sweet buys I made was buying these cool mesh bags that help keep everything organized inside the bag, so I can rip it apart and repack it quickly if need be (airports, etc.).
Here is where the backpack stands now.
In the main compartment…
- Navy Blue low Converse All Stars (picked for their flatness)
- Nike aquasocks (for the beach)
- Tan Old Navy trek pants (lightweight) (in pants mesh bag)
- Cotton reversible knee length Old Navy shorts (in pants mesh bag)
- Green Gap bathing suit (in pants mesh bag)
- Red Counting Crows tour shirt (in shirt mesh bag)
- Purple Kirk Read Snap T-shirt (in shirt mesh bag)
- Two pair boxer briefs (in shirt mesh bag)
- Two pair white ankle-length socks (in shirt mesh bag)
- One black rain poncho
- Four legal yellow pads (200 pages)
In the smaller compartment…
- Firm mesh container holding toothbrush, toothpaste, suntan lotion, first aid kit, deodorant, shaving cream, collapsible brush, echniacea, imodium, tylenol, soap (basically, what i will take to the shower/bathroom, as that may not always be in my room).
- Four black Uniball Gel Impact pens
- Secure belt strap for passport, money, etc.
- Small flashlight
- Small lock and cable
In the upper flap, still in the smaller compartment…
- Mesh bag containing 25 individual packets of Liquid Woollite, a braided clothesline, and a sink stopper.
- Two universal plugs so I can charge my digital camera
- A CompactFlash reader and USB cable (in case the memory cards start filling up, I can go to kiosk and burn my digital camera images to CD)
- In the reader, there is an additional 256MB card for the camera
- Plug and charger for camera
In the (small) outer compartment…
- Eye mask
- Ear plugs (two sets)
- Inflatable neck pillow
- Book light
In the (even smaller) outer outer compartment
- The digital camera, unless I can fit it in the smaller compartment
There is also a lightweight, compact umbrella in a holder just for that purpose outside the backpack.
What I need to get yet in San Francisco…
- One lightweight twin sheet and pillowcase.
- Small cloth bag of some sort (to carry my books, no way they are fitting in the bag)
- Small bungee cords to hold rolled up towel outside backpack
What i need to buy in Bangkok…
- Insect repellant
- Towel, beach size
The bag is surprising not as heavy as you would think, but I guess I’m used to carrying a backpack with a 8 pound laptop in it, CDs, and a lot of other heavy items.
Also, as things stand now, I will be going to an REM concert here Saturday night, all packed and ready to go to Thailand, sleep at a friend’s after the show, and head right to the airport in the morning. So, I also have an orange Chuck Palahniuk shirt, pink Gap Boxer Briefs (yes, pink!), green old Navy cargo shorts, and Teva sandals (which i will wear on the plane). Whatever I wear to REM I will leave at my friends in that bag, and will pick it up at some later date.
I think I’m as prepared as I will ever be…